We recommend that you use SurfEars with the installed leash to reduce the risk of losing them. Before using your pair of SurfEars for the first time, please read the user instructions and try all different sizes of buds and wings to ensure the right fit.
How to fit your SurfEars:
SurfEars can be custom fitted to perfectly fit your ears by changing size of the SEALING GELS and WINGS.
How to get started:
- Try SurfEars on. Make sure you fit the plugs correctly.
- If needed, change the size of the SEALING GELS and WINGS until you find a secure, proper fit and seal in your ears.
How to change Sealing Gels:
- Grip the WING with one hand and pull on the SEALING GEL with the other hand.
- Line up the new SEALING GEL into position at the tip of the CORE.
- Slide the new SEALING GEL onto the core by pushing it with your index finger. Keep pushing until the internal locking ring on the SEALING GEL pops onto the external groove on the CORE. You’ll hear a slight click sound when fully engaged. Please note that you can change position of the SEALING GEL as each SEALING GEL has two different internal locking rings. In position 1 the SEALING GEL sits further into your ear canal, while position 2 makes it sit further out. People who already have surfer’s ear (exostosis) will most likely find position 2 gives them the best seal and the most comfort.
- Your plug is ready to use!
Tip: Many people have different sized ear canals on their left and right ears. Try on all four SEALING GEL sizes in each ear to find the best match for your ears. A proper fit is crucial to ensure a secure seal and fixation in your ear.
How to change Wings:
- Grip the CORE with one hand and the heel of the WING with the other hand.
- Note that core and wings for the left ear are marked with an ‘L’ and are coloured ‘red’ and core and wings for the right ear are marked with an ‘R’ and are coloured teal, if the letters on both the core and the wing are aligned you are doing it right.
- Insert the rib of the CORE into the groove of the WING. Hold the CORE between your index finger and thumb. Secure the WING by pinching it between your thumb and the CORE. While pinching one side of the WING, gently stretch it while mounting it onto the rib of the CORE with a circular motion.
- With the rotation guide snapped in place, gently pull the remaining part of the WING over the rib of the CORE until it snaps in position. Done!
How to use the Leash:
- After you’ve inserted your SurfEars into your ears with the LEASH draped down your back, reach behind yourself and find the LEASH SLIDER.
- Grip the LEASH SLIDER between your thumb and index finger with one hand, and grip the LEASGH below the LEASH SLIDER the your thumb and index finger on your other hand.
- Gently pull the LEASH SLIDER towards the back of your neck.
- Using both hands, gently pull the portion of the LEASH that is still hanging below the LEASH SLIDER up and over your head so it sits comfortably around your neck.
How to remove the Leash:
- Remove the SEALING GEL from the CORE (see ‘HOW TO CHANGE SEALING GELS’ for instructions to do this).
- Grip the LEASH at the base of its loop between your thumb and index finger and hold the WING with your other hand.
- Gently pull the LEASH up on a 45 degree angle. The part of the LEASH loop closest to your fingers will lift up and over the external grooves of the CORE. As you continue to gently pull upwards, the rest of the LEASH loop will follow up and over too.
Note: We recommend to wear the leash to prevent the plugs from being lost. We don’t have a warranty covering lost plugs.
How to take care of your SurfEars:
To ensure the proper functionality of your SurfEars please follow these care instructions:
- Wash plugs in fresh warm water after use
- Keep plugs out of direct sun light when not in use
- Store plugs in a cool, dry place
Tip: If you haven’t washed your plugs frequently salt crystals may start to build up, blocking the mesh and reducing the amount of sound that can pass through.
To restore functionality of plugs you can leave them in fresh warm water for a few hours, gently clean the mesh with a soft brush, rinse under fresh warm water and let dry.